Sunday, April 14, 2013

What are we doing to our children?

There was a post the other day on facebook about a transgender child at about six years old. (Sweden has introduced a third nongendered pronoun to avoid this) S/he was born a boy but identifies as a girl. It makes me wonder.

Does this child like the hair/dresses, etc that being a girl offers? What does being a girl mean? Can the child stay a boy, dress in dresses, perhaps even like other boys when grown up, and still be a boy?

In some Native American cultures, this child is considered normal, even special. I was happy to see that the community the child is living in acts the same way.

I think it is the labeling that disturbs me. The He She. The He wears pants and likes girls. The She wears dresses and likes boys. Why? Why the rigid gender rules? Why cant he wear dresses and like boys or girls and still be he? Or the third pronoun option if that is what the person chooses.

I think my issue is also that I was born a girl, identify as a girl, and fit into the I like boys category, so I don't fully understand all the details.

Anyway....

What the heck are we doing to our girls? Telling them they can be a superhero if they wear a tutu...

And this...

 

And why is this gendered? Dad cooks too.

Huh? I wear clothes to, well, be clothed. They can be outward statements of my personality, but they all make sense! They are clothing..to clothe people.

and men need to be strong and virile.

 

Stop lying to the kids. Let them be who they are.

 
 

No comments: