Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Zentangles and Zendalas

I decided to join a challenge this week, a zentangle challenge. The post ,if you would like to join as well, is attached to that button-----> The Diva Zentangle one. She has a great blog.

So here is the finished product :

 
Let me tell you my fascinating process. First, I discovered Zentangles, worked a bit with them on my own ( some old post of mine has links to the official site and a pattern site), and brought them to the classroom. Both fourth and sixth graders seemed to enjoy making them.

Then, I saw a zendala. a mandala+ zentangle. I couldn't just make one right away..I had to make a kit and buy all of the supplies!

 

Then I made a pattern to separate the circle into however many equal bits I wanted it to be. I keep this pattern in my big book of everything.

Today I placed my circle on the pattern and made 16 bits.

 

I added another circle, some squares, and an octagon. Then a smaller octagon.

My first zentangle was Brayd around the outside, because that was the challenge! This was my first Brayd.

Then I added a version of Betweed ( sticking with Bs here)

I added Bubbles .

Then Boomerangs around the bubbles and a quilt star thing in the middle.

I love it, and I think I will take the Zendala to the classrooms!

.

 

 

 

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made a very beautiful zendala! Thanks for showing the proces.

Annemarie Huijts

ledenzer said...

Wonderful use of Shelly's pattern. It makes a great border!

Judi said...

Wow, thanks for sharing your process. I love the way you store your materials. Great mandala and wonderful demo!!!

Judi said...

By the way. I love that licking cat icon you have on your website! LOL

barbara and nancy said...

Just gorgeous!!!
Barbara

Shelly Beauch said...

Special and so much fun with a beaut border!

Joke Broekhans Geers said...

What fun see how you working all out!
Nice job!

Dawn said...

I'm so impressed you made your own zendala! Wow!! And gorgeously done at that! Beautiful! Thanks for the step by step!

Poppie_60 said...

fantastic! clever way of using Brayd. Thank you for sharing your progress pics too :)

Blue-bird (a.k.a. Ilse) said...

Love brayd as a border :)

Sandy Hunter, CZT8 said...

Thanks for the zendala info... I never would have attempted that, but maybe now that I've seen it done... well... maybe not. But it's awesome!

Daniele OBrien Design, CZT said...

Great job and I love seeing your Mandala/Zendala creation process.
Brayd works beautifully in your Zendala.

Ronnie said...

Thanks so much for sharing your process. Your mandala looks awesome! By the way, your Ostrich pix at the top of your blog made me chuckle.

tanglewithlinda.wordpress.com said...

Your zendala is lovely, and I appreciate reading about the process of how you drew your own zendala.

katydidsworld said...

Very creative to use brayd that way. Lovely zendala.

Jay said...

What a great way to do the Brayd! and thanks for showing your process...I always love to see how people create!!

Gloria said...

Wow! You are so organized and did a wonderful Zendela. The Brayd around the edge is great, and I love all the inner designs, too.

Andy said...

Nice to see you are back blogging with an interesting project.

Lisa Richards said...

Glad you decided to join the challenge! Beautiful zendala! :D