Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A rose by any other name- might be mispronounced

It's recess!  So I am blogging.  I have a kid in this class named Cobby.  Yeah- you pronounced it Kaw-bee, right?  Nope.  It's Kobee.  I never would have guessed.  This is a slipperly slope, parents.  Just like naming your future baseball star Chone - which I pronounce CH-O-kneee.  which is the slang word for underwear.  CH is never SH. Never.  There's that one rumor about a kid named Shithead- pronounced Shi-th-eed, or Lemonjello- Le-MON-jillo.  There are pronunciation rules in the English language whether you believe it or not.  And- another thing- Poor Synthia- her name sounds the same as Cynthia, but it starts with Syn like synthetic.  very sad. This is coming from a kid whose brother is amed Geoffrey- but G is a J sound legally.

5 comments:

Her Mom said...

Hmph! Geoffrey is the English spelling of Jeffery or Jeffrey and some very special people have lived with that name without any humiliation. Kind of like Kathryn instead of Katherine or Catherine, yes?

K(Banterings of a Basketcase) said...

Kathryn is correctly spelled- Kath- rin. unless you are a Kath-er-in. Different names entirely :)

SuziCate said...

My oldest who is almost 25 was in first grade with a set of twin boys named lemonjello and orangejello. I thought it was a joke when I got the valentine list and asked the teacher. She told me that the mother said she had no idea what to name them and saw the jello on her hospital tray, no joke! I wrote a post about it last year...another teacher told me about a shithead but did not know about that personally. i sometimes wonder what folks are smoking when they name their kids!

Mara said...

Oh, the names people give their children! They are so ridiculous at times and pronounciation is getting harder all the time!

When I first started my driving job, I was told my name means bitterness (which it does) and it's a biblical name. I was so fed up with this comment that I told the kids I wanted both bible books in which the name Mara is found and then they shut up. They didn't have a clue!

Lisa said...

Kid's names just get weirder and weirder every year. I think it began in the drug-induced 60s with Moon Unit Zappa, Frank Zappa's daughter's name. Seems like anything goes with spelling and pronunciation! One thing is for sure; a Shithead by any other name is still a... (I really feel sorry for that kid when he gets older).