Monday, January 3, 2011

New year

I hate making resolutions- they sound so resolute.  They make me feel like I have to pick something bad about myself and then focus solely on fixing it.  I like what Dark Mother Goddess did....She picked a word for the year.  So, I've been tossing a few words around in my head.
Positivity- I could be more positive and optimistic.  I've already been working on it.  I'm trying not to dwell on things, I fixate and depress myself.  But, if I focus on positivity for the year, I'm afraid I'll remind myself to look at every situation with rose colored glasses- and there are times I need to be more realistic.
Health- that sounds good- because I could focus on health of mind and body.  I could use a little more exercise (ankle willing).  I could integrate positive thought. 
Growth- in all things.  I love learning new stuff.  According to Erickson, I'm pretty much stuck somewhere around stage 6.  I could use a little growth.  But not in the abdominal area :)
or Moderation- I get fixated, I go on tangents, I focus on one tiny thing that is bothering me.  I need to moderate my food, drink, and thoughts- to become more healthy, more sane.  I need to moderate what I take in, what I listen to, whose issues I absorb.  (I wish I could stop absorbing everyone else's stress- I think I might need to magically do some protection- and I never considered that before).

I should pick a word, for my mantra- but my mind isn't ready for that right now.  Dark Mother's word is flourish- she's good.

also That Witch it True is having a great challenge for a month of positive thought and body image.

What'd you do for your new year's resolutions?

7 comments:

Her Mom said...

Gave that up awhile ago. I am thinking I need to start combating my laziness though - get more productive. Tomorrow. Maybe. Positive thinking is good - you can look at things realistically, but then look for the good in them too and not dwell on the bad because they won't change a darn thing.

Mara said...

Resolutions? Not really. Goals? Definitely. Picking a word sounds like a good plan as well. Although in my case it would be more a word like 'damage control'. Trying not to hit any other vehicle, lamppost, hedge or anything else that might hinder me on the road.

Dark Mother said...

I think your mention of the word of Moderation would apply to so many of the other factors you previuosly mentioned. That's the beauty of the one word, it can literally be applied to every single situation : )

Thanks for linking to my humble loud mouthed blog : )

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I don't make resolutions specifically at New Year's. I try to make them when I need to improve some aspect of my thought or behaviour, so they end up being spread throughout the year!

Linda in New Mexico said...

I let my word pick me and then some one clever, not me that's for sure pointed out the Vulcan Mind Meld and I had to laugh because I hadn't even put it in that context. Meld, to melt and weld. I gotta get myself together.....The Olde Bagg, Linda

SuziCate said...

I don't like resolutions either (because I always fail!), but I do like this!

LisaF said...

I don't do resolutions. I do reflections. You can't know where you are going until you know where you've been...and why!