Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Never again

Most days I go to work armed to the gills with super powers.  Super powers teachers and mothers have.  The power to calm and angry kid, the power to turn defiance into aquiescence, the power to make the sad giggle.  Not today.  My super powers did not work.  These kids were kryptonite.
These kids were 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders.  All put in a special class.  I am assuming that most of them were in ther for behavioral and social issues.  There were 8 kids, all boys.  And 4 teachers most of the time.  Ocassionally one teacher would take a few of the students to other mainstream classes.  At the end of the day I was left with 4 kids, alone, for 10 minutes. du du du (ominous music)

Throughout the day I was called names- bitch, fucking bitch, evil, brat, etc.  I was told that I was not the boss.  I was stabbed with a pencil.  I was kicked at, hit, and hissed at.  If I tried to help with classwork (amazing how any got done at all), I was ignored or whined at.

These kids have issues.  They have issues with names, official names.  They have special helpers, counselors, certain plans for their school and behavior. 

Why are they like this?  Is it nature?  Nurture?  A little of both?  Why are they being allowed to watch TV with Violence?  How can they be allowed to play violent video games?  Their behavior already leans toward anger and violence,  why are these predilictions being fed?  Where'd they learn those words?  Does their family talk to them like that, or in front of them like that?

When I was alone, one kid knocked over his friend's blocks.  Friend yelled, kid ran, friend jumped up angry with fists cleanched, grabbed a block and pegged kid.  Kid came back to fight, friend was geared up to fight.  Nice older kid stepped between them.  Friend threw himself on beanbag, kid wanted to body slam friend.  I restrained kid by hugging him gently and sitting down with him.  I don't know the legalities of restraining.  Kid's father showed up right then.  Just my luck.  After kid calmed and I let him go- father said "so behavior wasn't that good, huh?"  well------------duh.  Behavior was OK til then.  Not great.  I doubt behavior is ever great.  The kid has no impulse control like everyone else in the class.

I'm tired.  I usually love classes with special kids.  This one was too much for my super powers.  These kids had force fields up against my awesome mommy stare and ever-correcting "I'm going to tell your parents" (or take away recess).  I don't think I'll jump at the chance to visit that class any time soon.  My wounds need time to heal and I need to hone my skills.

8 comments:

Her Mom said...

I do not understand what can turn such young chldren into such fearsome creatures. They weren't born that way, I'm sure. Is it torqued genes, what they live with at home, TV they're exposed to, video games they're exposed to, something else? A combination of all of the above? Too much sugar? Not enough protein? What will they grow into? Scary scary. And I recall none of that kind of behavior at that age when I was there.

No teacher should have to throw him/herself into that den.

Tracy DeLuca said...

My son is diagnosed with Autism/ PDD-NOS. He is in a self contained SPED class for children with developmental disabilities. There is no way in God's Green Earth that I would ever want to teach his kindergarten class. I have enough issues just handling one child with social/ behavioral concerns. I get punched, kicked, slapped, pinched and kicked by one child. I could never ever handle a group of them. I have incredible respect for every single SPED teacher. I think they are all saints.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I hope tomorrow's better! You kept your temper and poise and that's what really counts.

Lyn said...

I think you're amazing, K. I hope your superpowers come back soon.

Anonymous said...

K, I've done plenty of subbing myself, and had to deal with some real misbehavior and brattiness, but your day is so far beyond anything I've ever dealt with. I'm with Lyn - you are AMAZING!!! I could never have gotten through that without losing my temper or else just walking out. Probably both!!

You should get an award, lady!!

Charla said...

Hmm? I put in my name, but it came up as "Anonymous". That last post was by me...Charla!

- Anyway - again, I take my hat off to you, K! x

Witchy Godmother said...

I work full-time in an inner-city elementary school and I know exactly what you mean. Hope the day is better and that your super-powers are back full strength - Hugs and sparkles - WG

Kathy said...

Awww, K...I am sorry you had such a challenged day. That you were called such names. I am sorry for the kids too--thinking how frustrated they must be inside--to make them behave that way. Like your mom, I am wondering why. Are they reflecting the larger craziness in our society? Sigh...