Monday, September 27, 2010

Lunes Lunacy 7

I was going to grump today about the weather- but we all know how fickle Mother Nature can be.  It looks like she's already pissed and trying to send us directly to hades.  It is 105 degrees outside (that's almost 41 celcius), and it is barely noon.
I had a call this morning to go into work.  But I was fighting a migraine hangover and the call allowed me only 45 minutes to get there.  It's a half hour drive anywhere, so I'd have only 15 minutes to get showered and ready.  I didn't take the job.  I feel guilty.  But seeing the temperature and knowing most classrooms have little to no airconditioning, I feel way less guilty.  I have a migraine waiting to creep in right now, and a hot classroom would have set it off instantly.  Plus, fourth graders really smell when they are sweaty.

Instead, I am going to grump about my weight.  I know, I am such a hypocrite because a few weeks ago I grumped about lack of body acceptance.  I'm pretty OK with my body right now as it currently is- but a few things make me grump.
My doctor chewed me out for gaining weight.  I put a few pounds on over the summer.  OK- ten pounds.  That was from lack of exercise and lots of drink.  I'm getting older too, so I'd like to blame it on that. 

I had planned to start dieting.  It's easy, right?  I used to do it all the time.  Even as a teen, I could count calories with the best of them.  But the problem is, either my mom or I cooked when I was a teen- and we liked chicken and veggies, and healthy foods.  Plus, I didn't like beer then.  and I had a better metabolism. and I was better at saying no.

Now I am in a house where someone else cooks.  He likes only corn (with lots of butter) or greenbeans (with bacon fat).  He makes scalloped or fried potatoes, macaroni and cheese, fried porkchops, steak.  I was buying groceries so I could make healthy dinners for us, and to add veggies and fruits to my diet, but I have enough money to buy gas until the end of October when I get paid, and that's it.

I started walking.  Then my ankle was aching.  then the heat wave came.  I walked last thursday about 2 miles.  I rewarded myself with beer.  I'm sure exercise shouldn't be a means to a reward.  It's boring to walk in circles.  I like walking to the store- but again, I am broke.  I miss Curves.  I felt strong and had a good time going there.  I might join a gym- we will see.  I have another excuse about that though- I have to be home right after school to book a job, and people don't want me to drive my scooter in the dark, so it's difficult to go to the gym.  I guess I'll keep walking.

The weight I am at is OK.  But I need to buy clothes that fit, especially pants.  and I hate the tire that flops over my legs when I sit down.  We won't even discuss shaving my bikini line.  Maybe I could win the lottery and get a tummy tuck (and be an even bigger hypocrite).


I'm not writing this to get sympathy.  I don't need accolades.  I'm writing this because I believe at some time or another, every one of you has hit a wall as well.  It's like the point where Homer Simpson just decided to buy and wear mumus. 

I am still making a concerted effort to eat healthily- and haven't bought beer for home (though I did have 2 delicious beers yesterday- Hoptober and one with hazelnut). I don't even have wine at home, cuz I'll drink it!  So hopefully, a few pounds will creep off before I go to the doctor again.  Boy, was it so much easier when I was a teenager (and even then I didn't appreciate my size 7 body- youth is wasted on the young!) 

What do you have to grump about?

9 comments:

Lyn said...

I've been grumpy about my tooth for what seems an eternity! Love your choice of pictures for this post - I can (physically) relate to them :-)

Hope the migraine passes swiftly.

x

Leeanna said...

OMG! It's only 81 here and it's 4pm. It was 57 this morning. BTW I love the new look.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, big blue eyes looking at me! I'll have to check this out on the desktop where I'll really see the whole page - netbook clips it.

The only time (and I'm not saying this to be mean) I had to watch weight was during pregnancy and I was not good at it. What I wasn't supposed to eat is the only thing that was in my brain. So - good luck, be persistent, and do your best.

Her Mom said...

Oops, pushed something I didn't mean to. Anonymous is really me, not trying to be anonymous, but suffering from wayward fingers I guess.

AlphaBetsy said...

I completely understand and can relate. Just letting you know you are not alone.

SuziCate said...

I so get this! I also say it doesn't matter what we look like that we are deeper than that, YET I am concerned with my weight after my sister made a remark about how much I'd gained! UGH... And if only I didn't love beer. I went through so many years without liking it! Why did I have to discover I love it?! I think that's only part of my problem because I really love to eat!

Judy said...

Weight is a big thing to grump about...I put on 20 pounds a few years back and never lost it...it was so easy in the 30's...just didn't eat as much for a couple days...now there's a candy box at work...too many of those are going in my mouth...bummer...

Plus over 100 degrees is a big grump thing also...

you are very justified in your grumps this morning...

pegbur7 said...

I understand your need to grump about that. We all do at some time or another. I happen to think You're a very beautiful young woman just the way you are!

Kick the doctor in the shin! LOL

Sprite's Keeper said...

I guess I could be grumpy about the weather. I've been promising Sprite every day that she can ride her bike when we get home, but the weather in the evening makes it impossible. Kid has to make do with something else and I have to listen to her cry about something I can't control.