Thursday, September 2, 2010

Dear Ladies

Mama Kat offered another list of subjects to do our Writer's Workshop this week.  I opted to write a letter to a celebrity- but it's actually to lots of celebrities- women celebrities- which is particularly good timing since I watched Law and Order last night and really wanted to tell Sharon Stone what I thought of her.  Not her, her hair.

Dear Women celebrities,
I appreciate your ability to stand up and be yourselves.  There are some of you that I adore more than others.  I'm not going to even discuss politics or personality.  I'm even going to avoid talking about forthrightness that I love (ahem, Bette Midler, Mae West).  I'm talking about hair.  Shallow, I know.  But my mom and I have been discussing hair, and my hair feels so heavy on my head, and I am fixated on hair right now.

Right now my hair looks like this above.  Boyfriend thinks that's short hair.  It's OK, I like it because it looks girly and won't get all screwed up under a helmet (I ride a scooter to work)  but I long for the hair I had before:

( I usually get the urge to go dark in the fall)
Why do I tell you women this?  Because I secretly cheer everytime you gorgeous women cut your hair off.

My favorite short haired actress has always been M from James Bond:

Dame Judi Dench
I loved it when Kathy Bates shorn her locks.( shorn?)

I was thrilled when Allysa Milano chopped her hair, and Wynona Ryder


I cried inside when Marrisa Hartigay(sp) decided to grow her hair out:

Quite frankly, I even liked Marilyn Monroe's hair when it was shorter- but this letter can't be to her.

I am so sad that Sharon Stone followed Marrisa- Sharon's iconic short cut looked great on her

I want to cut my hair off, can you tell?  I had it short short for a while- But I had lots of girls picking up on me.  I guess I was just as pretty as Ellen. (I love her)


all I am saying is that sometimes shorter is better


So, Please, look in the mirror and decide for yourself, but just know, I am thrilled to see your pretty face when it's not hidden by hair.

17 comments:

Mama the Chef said...

you are seriously talking me into short hair! I've always wondered how I would look, but was never that brave! Maybe next summer....

Debra She Who Seeks said...

And don't forget Halle Berry. She has never been as sexy since she grew her hair out. Some women just look better in short hair. Rowrrr!

Leeanna said...

I love your short blonde look. Much better than the redhead. But damn... I love short hair. Mine has always been blonde and short

inannasstar said...

Loved this post! I'm of the long hair persuasion. Long, curly and red. However, I always wished for the face and bod to pull off the short pixie cut. Unfortunately, when I cut my hair short when I was 17, I looked......like a boy : (

inannasstar said...

Have to add that I looked like a boy despite my C cups. Yeah I know, pretty friggin' pathetic.

Her Mom said...

Same option, much different approach. I agree, I love short hair. I'm dreaming of the day mine grows back thick enough and with enough texture to have hair like Dame Judy Dench, Jamie Lee Curtis, Ellen DeGeneres, Halle Berry. Yes, real hair, but easy to take care of hair. Neat hair.

But - if people really want their hair long and don't mind taking care of it - so be it. I just think we all should wear our hair to suit ourselves and ourselves alone.

K(Banterings of a Basketcase) said...

oooh- I forgeot Halle Barry and Jamie Lee- there's a few more out there I forgot too, I'm sure.

Yeah- I'm not sying short hair is for everyone- and I hope people realize short can be pretty and feminine- I'm just saying some people look great with the short hair. If they want it long, so be it- but I prefer the short and sassy on some.

Barb said...

Oh, you sweet thing! You look great with the current length, but I liked you short, too. As for me - I just got another chop yesterday - so SHORT! I like the freedom (and my hubby actually thinks it looks good). PS Can you believe I'm actually having no trouble commenting?

pegbur7 said...

I think your hair lloks great but ways but it's your hair on your head so you should wear it houw you like and not worry about anyone else. You are gorgeous either way!

Sandra said...

Nah. As much as I think your beautiful eyes could pull off any do, and most certainly the short do, I'm still all for long hair on certain people, for instance me. I cut my hair like Demi More when she was in Ghost, and proceeded to hate myself for almost two years till it grew back!

Kaelin said...

wish I could pull off short hair! great post...

Shauna said...

I am new here! Would love for you to come visit me too :)

Have a great day!

http://www.trying2staycalm.com/

ournextchapters.com said...

I heart Dame Judi Dench... I just think she's incredible. I'm actually the opposite... always had long hair... and cut my hair twice short and hated both times.

Mara said...

You were on a roll, right up to Victoria Beckham who is a skinny nothing with a moron for a husband. Yugh, don't let me go on.

Anyway, I can't imagine ever having short hair again. I felt it was boring, it was cold in winter and I looked exactly like my mother which was the deciding factor in letting it grow again.

Another great looking shorty: Annie Lennox!

PS: I love the look you have right now, blonde cheeky and fun!

SuziCate said...

Yes, don't forget Halle Berry. These women are gorgeous with short hair.You're making me want to cut mine...I have been contemplating it for months! I'm going to try to hang with it and cut it short in the Spring.

Lyn said...

I had really short hair until I hit 30 and decided it was time for a change. I like it both way - think short suits you :-)

Walk in the Woods said...

I'm just waiting for mine to reach the length that I may offer my tresses to Locks for Love. I'm *almost* there. :) And while there's so much I love about long hair, I'm looking forward to having it short again.