Sunday, August 22, 2010

I missed ABC Wednesday

I figured I could make up a bit for my absence by posting yiddish E words today.

Again- I seem to like to pick ones you can use negatively :)

Ech- is a groan.  You probably already sorta use this word- don't you? The trashbag fell apart again- ech. (eck)

EiEi- used like Oh! It reminds me of my mexican friend's jajaja.  Sounds fun to say.

eingeshpahrt- stubborn.  I have been accused of being eingeshpahrt occasionally, but I don't think I am.

enschultig meir- Excuse me! it can be used without the sarcasm, but what good is that?

and here's a nice illustration for our last word- the water you see came from snow.  It's so cold it burns the skin. The word is Eizel, meaning fool- these boys may be eizels , but I love them (they jumped off a bridge into the cold cold water on their own accord)

4 comments:

Lyn said...

Glad you posted this, K. Tabitha needed a new Yiddish word to learn. She's getting bored with dreck ;-)

Her Mom said...

Eizel - could come in handy. So, if it's foolish, would it be Eizelish?

K(Banterings of a Basketcase) said...

LOL- I'll have to remember never to name a kid that. Eizel sounds like a good name til you know the meaning.

LisaF said...

Better late than never! I'm very far behind reading my bloggy friends, so it's okay with me that you're late.

I can think of a hundred ways to use Eizel! What a great word. As for enschultig meir, not sure I'm pronouncing it correctly, so the sarcasm may be lost of those listening. I've always thought sarcasm should be a font style. I'm looking for a good one.