Tuesday, August 10, 2010

D is for nothing good!

Yeah! ABC WEDNESDAY!
and it's still yiddish time.

I couldn't find any positive references when looking up Yiddish D's.  The most popular D is the word Dreck.  As in "This sandwich is dreck, you expect me to pay for it?" or
"You didn't wipe up your mess- your work ethic is Dreck"
or "I fell like dreck this morning"

Dreck=$h!t, by the way.

another D that jumped out at me is Dybbuk.  There was a movie I saw about a dybbuk- some weird blue eyed dead twin dybbuk. 
A Dybbuk is a malvolent spirit of a dead person who is forced to wander for eternity being tortured.  So, the spirit will usually try to steal a living person's body to escape.  I think many cultures have this.  I have an acquaintence that leaves milk in her kitchen cupboard to appease a kitchen dybbuk.
This is what I think a Dybbuk might look like- it's a painting by Anthony Clarkson

Another D word is Dumkop- This has got to be of German origin- because someone once told me the only two German words I thought I knew and this was one of them.  Meaning Dumb head- or something of the sort.  the other word was shitzkop. we won't go into that.

and a nice saying to end this bit:
Der oylam is a goylam= the world is stupid.





BTW- thanks for the kindness- I'm feeling human now :)

13 comments:

♣☆♥Willa♥☆♣ said...

I hope you're feeling Delighted after this post.
Have a wonderful humpday.
Here's a li'l joke that I hope make you smile,
After Monday and Tuesday, the calendar says WTF! :)
Thanks for visiting my D today! :D
ABC Wednesday:D is for Donut

photowannabe said...

Some of those words have worked themselves into the everyday English language.
Interesting post.

Her Mom said...

I though it was dumkopf! What a dumkop I am!

K(Banterings of a Basketcase) said...

I thought it was doom-cough. It might be mutated, and spelling change as a lot of the yiddish I think is written in Hebrew and has to be phonetically translated

Jingle said...

very wicked cool piece.

Roger Owen Green said...

Answers.com has it as dummkopf - http://www.answers.com/topic/dummkopf - I'm betting on regional variations.

Scary picture, great post.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

mrsnesbitt said...

Hmmmm Drek eh! Now there is a good word to drop into the conversations today! lol!
Good to hear you are feeling normal - hope all is well!

Thanks for contributing,
Denise
ABC Team

Diandra said...

By the way, "Dreck" is German, too. It's basically "dirt". (^v^)

Mara said...

Drek: a Dutch word used to describe the muck (and shit) in a farm yard usually. We've got a lot of German based and Yiddish based words in our language!

Lyn said...

Glad you're feeling back to normal(ish) now K - I missed you! Love your post - def not dreck ;-)

SuziCate said...

Dreck...lovin' my new word! Thanks.

Leo said...

Dreck? :D interesting.. lovin the word...

thanks for a lovely word.. it was Delightful..! :D

LisaF said...

Dreck! I'm sure I'll remember that one...and use it only in appropriate situations. :-) I think your Dybbuk looks like something out of a Tim Burton movie. And "Der oylam is a goylam." This side of heaven, I concur.