Wednesday, August 25, 2010

ABC Wednesday- F in yiddish

I just had a semi revelation whilst looking up my words for the week for ABC WEDNESDAY.  This revelation fits nicely into my tirade on prop 8 (gay marriage).  You wondering what it is?  Ok- here's the first yiddish word for F:

FAYGALA: A male homosexual. (literally, little bird.)   do you think this is where the term Fag comes from?  That maybe it's not a derogatory term? I've met some male homosexuals who would love to be thought a little bird :)

FERCOCKT: All fucked up.  

FERDRAYT: Dizzy, confused.
FARPITZS: All dressed up.
FERMISHT: All shook up, as in an acute disturbance.
FERSHLUGINA: Beaten up, messed up, no good.
FERSHTAY?: Do you understand.
FERSHTINKINER: A stinker, a louse.  MY favorite! I've gotta start using this daily!
FERTUMMELT: Befuddled, confused

The faygala was farpitz in his beautiful outfit, but I am sure the fershtinkiner was fermisht that the outfit included a garter belt and covered very little.

11 comments:

LisaF said...

This. Is. Priceless. I may have to use some of these as my unusual F words next round...although I'm not sure I'd have any photo illustrations out of my world to accompany some of them!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

*shakes fist* You little fershtinkiners! Get out of my yard!

Yeah, I like it too! Thanks for adding to my vocabulary!

AlphaBetsy said...

This has to be my favorite Yiddish words post yet. Fertummelt is how I feel most of the time. lol

inannasstar said...

You're fucking awesome!

Her Mom said...

Ummm - do you think the Yids might be turning in their graves and feeling very fertummelt now? Is this a topic (topics?) they discuss in public?

Good post!

Sprite's Keeper said...

Damn, I've been holding faygala close to the vest for a long time now. You're letting out all our Yiddish secrets! :-)

Anna said...

These were all new F-words to me!
Best wishes,
Anna
Anna's abcWed-F-words

mrsnesbitt said...

Wednesdays bring along so much information don't you think?

Denise
ABC Wednesday Team

Andy said...

I once tried to breed canaries. Everything went fine. The birds would mate and the female laid eggs. She sat on them past the incubation period. The eggs never hatched. This happened about 3 or 4 times until I discovered that I was dealing with two females.
I've also seen the same thing happen breeding tropical fish. It turns out that in nature, homosexuality is normal when the opposite sex is not available.
In the future I hoping to see some very interesting postings from you on ABC Wednesday:)

Roger Owen Green said...

seems that faygala may also be the source of the term gay in this sense, perhaps?
anyway, most of the words I see other English words, such as cock (in a particular sense) ritz (as in puttin' on the Ritz), tumult and of course, stinker.
great post!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Lyn said...

I've given it some thought and, thanks to Aunty K, Tabitha will be learning FERCOCKT this week!