Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Zeugma

Drum Roll::::: ABC Wednesdays! The letter Z!!!!

This is one of my favorite things in the whole world- a zuegma.  The dictionary defines it as "the use of a word to modify or govern two or sometimes more words, only one of which makes sense".  What?
I like to describe it like this : subject, {verb, maybe adjective- } which link a literal and a figurative predicate.  Ok- I confused you more I see.

I'll give you an example- He threw and egg and an insult.  I made that one up all by myself.

He stained her dress (ahem, Clinton) and her reputation.

She was heavy with corsets and thought.

He shouldered a heavey tray and responsiblities.

Spongebob even does it, apparently he said "For sixty-five years this belt has been preventing the fall of nations. And pants" of merman's belt.

You have any good ones?

10 comments:

f8hasit said...

I'm out of time and money...

I didn't know what a zeugma was before this! I'm going to use it in scrabble. Love it!

LisaF said...

Sounds like a fun way to while away the afternoon! But my head hurts just trying to think of something witty right now. I must say that I think the lovely thing in the corset is probably thinking, "I WISH I COULD BREATHE!" Just throwin' that out there.......

Mara said...

Hm, I would have to think about that one. A great word though.

Jay said...

I, too, love zeugmas! Just the name makes me laugh, but then I think of the famous Flanders and Swann song 'Madeira, M'dear' and I laugh harder!

In case you don't know it, you can find it on YouTube, but here's a sample of the lyrics -

' ... he said, as he hastened to put out the cat, the wine, his cigar, and the lamps'

Can't beat that, for a sentence crammed full of zeugmas, huh? ROFL!

On behalf of the team, thanks for taking part in Round 6 of ABC Wednesday! Round 7 starts next week. :)

Her Mom said...

Have you met Zeugma's sister, Syllepsis?

Roger Owen Green said...

GREAT word. I've heeard of the phenomenon, but not the actual term.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Gayle said...

I never knew there was a word for this!
How about..... The actor stole the show and then her wallet... OR ... You held your breath and the door for me (that one from Alanis Morissette)

Tumblewords: said...

I've been struck wordless, but loving this and putting it somewhere safe.:) Thanks!

mrsnesbitt said...

Thank you so much for contributing to ABC Wednesday - I always enjoy yhe journey we take each Wednesday ...we just never know what is therefor us!!! lol!
Hope to see you for Round 7?????
Denise
ABC Team

Jingle said...

what a creative word you have there,
enjoy it.
Hope that it goes to dictionary some day.
cheers!