Friday, July 2, 2010

Spin Cycle Poetry

Sprite's Keeper has a Spin Cycle meme each week, and this week's spin is Poetry! So, I dug up an oldie I had created when I was an at-home mom to three kids (4,2,1yrs) and a husband who traveled for work.

The unappreciated woman:

She could stay in bed all day
They'd think she'd retired early.
She could perm her hair huge
They'd always thought it curly.
Her name could be Jane
but they'd still call her Shirley
-the unappreciated woman-
She could leave for a month
they'd think she'd been gone a week.
She could run around naked
They'd never take a peek.
She could scream so darn loud
they'd never hear her speak
-the unappreciated woman-
She could spend hours on a meal
or heat a tv dinner.
She could gain a hundred pounds
or grow thinner and thinner.
She could be an angel
or a downright sinner
-the unappreciated woman-
They'd never even notice
She's hardly even there.
Why does she even bother
with her clothing and her hair?
Her pedestal is dusty
her crown is turning brass.
Her brain is growing mushy
So's her stomach and her ass.
Her home is non-descript
as well as her day.
her children are all average
her husbands always away.
_the unappreciated woman depreciates over time-

9 comments:

Lyn said...

I LOVE your poem, K. I can really relate to it - thanks for sharing :-)

Sprite's Keeper said...

I love it! And am thankful my husband and child appreciate me for they always call for me as soon as I close the door. :-)
You're linked and welcome to the Spin Cycle!

Her Mom said...

Sometimes people are slow to figure out what they've got. And sometimes they just think it will always be there.

Heidi said...

Great POEM!

SuziCate said...

Great poem...think we've all felt like that at one time or another.

Kate said...

OOh I really like it! Welcome to the spin!

aimeewrites said...

Nicely done - I can well appreciate it. :)

pegbur7 said...

Love it!

CaJoh said...

I love the interjections of -the unappreciated woman- after each phrase. It re-emphasizes the point of the poem throughout.

Thanks for sharing,