Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Rules for cooking at Mom's

Mom's house has a few rules for cooking:  It has to be fairly healthy and it has to be delicious.

She used to have a garden, but after some health issues realized the garden was a LOT of work and that she was quite happy with store bought veggies and a small patch of homegrown tomatoes. So, she goes to the store once or twice a week and stocks up on fresh veggies (or frozen- but never canned yuck).  All our meals have veggies in them.  and maybe a salad.  or a slice of melon.

The meat should be fairly healthy.  Though Dad got away with buying a summer sausage to snack on this week- only because I was here to share it with him.  They eat seafood, poultry, and less fatty cuts of beef.  You'd be hard pressed around here if you wanted to find a great big hunk of fatty pork sausage or a whole package of bacon (she freezes bacon separated into four slices).

Extra salt is a no-no.  High blood pressure and other yuckies come from sodium, and all foods have enough already- so they have trained their tastebuds to do without extra salt.  They use real spices instead.

Fats should be in a good form, like olive oil or delicious cheese.

Red wine is healthy.  White wine is OK too.  Especially if enjoyed on the porch whilst relaxing.

Dessert is fine in moderation.  You really only need three or less oreo cookies.  My mom prefers a nice cup of chai tea for dessert.  Dad wants icecream with his cookies.  I just like more wine :)

So Last night I made dinner- I sauteed fresh garlic in olive oil, added a zuchinni, broccoli, cauliflower, a green pepper from mom's greenhouse, and green onion.  I then mixed a little white wine with soy sauce (low sodium), garlic, ginger, corn starch, and a splash of balsamic vinegar.  I dumped the sauce over the veggies and added shrimp, simmering til the shrimp was pink.  we threw this over wheat noodles and ate til our hearts were content.  Nummy.  Next time, more veggies, less noodles, and more garlic.  I loooove garlic.

The wine was nummy- Gurwhatsits something or another.

9 comments:

Judy said...

Just dropped over from Pagan Culture...think I might come to your place for dinner also...

Her Mom said...

Yep, yummy on all fronts. Today you mentioned chocolate strawberry shortcake - I think chocolate is good for you (if not physically, certainly for the psyche) and strawberry is a fruit! Whipped cream - well, that's dairy. Calcium, right? The shortcake is support for the main components.

inannasstar said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM, sounds divine! Your mom is one smart cookie...I wish I had an ounce of her smartness when it comes to food. I can eat three oreos at the same time ; )

Annah said...

Yummmmyyyyyy. I am starving and this did it for me. I'm such a salt lover though. It's pretty horrible :(

Diandra said...

That sounds delicious.

In my family, the health aspect of food was pretty much ignored. We ate vegetables, mostly canned, and only as a kind of decoration for all the other stuff (noodles, potatoes, meat, cream-based sauce etc.).

When I moved away to study, I started cooking healthier, and have been feeling better ever since. This past few months, I took it even one step further, trying to put as much health and fun in our food as possible. The BF goes along (mainly because I am a great cook and he won't get any other food), and I hope we will be able to pass this on to our children once we have them. (He insists that children simply don't like vegetables - his family is just as bad as mine when it comes to healthy food - but I think we can prove him wrong.)

Lyn said...

Now you've just made me realise I've forgotten all about breakfast and now it's lunchtime already. That sounds delicious K - when you coming here to cook for me? ;-)

inannasstar said...

Also, there's an award for you at my blog today!

K(Banterings of a Basketcase) said...

@Diandra- thats bullocks (practicing my British)- Kids like what their taste buds are introduced to at an early age. Sometimes they choose not to like something in particular- but veggies is a large group of food. My son loved and loves green beans. My daughter digs salads. My son eats sushi though, and my daughter won't go near fish. I might have fed him more fish when he was little though.

SuziCate said...

MMMMMMM...eating at Mom's and hanging out on the porch with wine sounds grand...can I go with you next year?!