Tuesday, July 20, 2010

ABC Wednesday- Or yiddish word a week

I've decided to make a rule for myself this go around- We are going to learn Yiddish because my Wednesday ABC is going to be a yiddish word! Yay for me (us)!!!
I know it is Tuesday in America but my mom is sitting next to me typing out her ABC Wednesday post so I can't let her do it a whole day before me!

Our word for the week is: Alter Kocker - it means Old man or woman.  I think, in this case, Alter Bok would work as well- since it means Old Goat (shhh- don't tell him I said this- he will wake me up at crack of 9 am with his wet nosed dog pinning me to the bed and licking my skin off my face).
Yep.  It's my mom's husband, or my Daddy Pat.  He used to be an alter bocher (bachelor) prior to december of 1995 when he was lucky enough to tie the knot with my lovely and charming mother (she's a mentsh). 
and for the last word- in response to how Daddy Pat is after scoring the best woman in the world- he must be an alrightnik- one who has succeeded.
TTYL! K

19 comments:

Her Mom said...

Oofta! What a horrible picture! We'll not tell him you put this out there for the world to see.

photowannabe said...

This is going to be one fun post to read every week.
Great start to ABC Wednesday.

ρομπερτ said...

Of great joy and interest to find this idea ! Please have you all a wonderful Wednesday.

daily athens

Linda said...

What an intriguing idea. I look forward to amassing a host of new words.

Linda
ABC Wednesday Team

Sylvia K said...

What a great way to start the next round of ABC! Fun and interesting post! Hope you have a wonderful week!

Sylvia
ABC Team

Tumblewords: said...

Anxious to see more!

Wanda said...

Oh this will be fun.... how clever you are to do this for round 7.

Your daddy is so cute!

LisaF said...

Yay! I'm glad you went with this theme! I look forward to learning at least 26 new words!

Mar said...

How interesting!!
Thanks for your visit and comment. The angle makes Barcelona look way more crowded than in reality. The hills are behind the buildings!

A is for aerial

Lyn said...

Yay! I'm going to learn Yiddish!!

Annelie said...

What a great idea!

RuneE said...

I see I'm into learning a new language :-)
Fortunately I know a bit German...

Roger Owen Green said...

i'm REALLY into this topic. My late Jewish great aunt would approve!

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Beverley Baird said...

What a great idea! Love the story behind the words!
Thanks for the teaching idea!

Jay said...

What a neat idea - this round will be a lot of fun! Your Dad looks lovely!

On behalf of the team, welcome to ABC Wednesday, Round 7 - and thanks for taking part this week! :)

Gramma Ann said...

I don't know one word that is Yiddish, so this will be a learning experience.

Julie Jordan Scott said...

Awesome!! Love, love, love, love this!

So grateful to have discovered you through ABC Wednesday!

A is for Abundance

mrsnesbitt said...

I laughed when I read about being woken up by his little wet nose - lol!

Great to have you aboard for Round 7! A great fun time is in store I am sure.

Denise

Leo said...

haha.. a fun read.. even i laughed at that wet nose part :)