Saturday, June 19, 2010

Rosey Grier

If you don't know who he is, you will have to google him.
I'd love to write a long blog about how the kids and my bro and I got to interview Rosey today, but It's midnight and I have a bed calling.  Lemme just give you a little quip about how impressive he is as a man, as a human:
He told us about the day he was with Bobby Kennedy when he got shot (killed).  Wikipedia will tell you how he took control of the murderer, Sirhan Sirhan, got his gun, and subdued him.  But there is a little background story to this. 
A few people who has seen SS shoot Bobby tackled SS, and they were trying to pummel him to death- after all, SS had just killed a man who they believed would be a great leader (as did Rosey).  Rosey subdued SS not only because he had a gun and had just murdered Rosey's friend, Bobby.  But also because Rosey was trying to save SS's life.  Had Rosey not subdued SS, the crowd would have killed the murderer.
This is amazing to me.  Rosey said later that he didn't hate the man, he just wanted to understand what drove him to do it.  He hated the action, sure...but he loves all men, all God's creations.
Rosey also was genuinely thrilled to talk to us.  He doesn't act or feel like a famous man, he is just a wonderfully warm hearted teddy bear.  He was thrilled to talk to "the future leaders of the world", which our kids are.  He was thrilled to spread his message of love and grace.
He is a very inspiring man, and I want to be like him when I grow up.
See that smile?  It is real.  He is smiling at you.
*this is an old picture I stole off the web.  He's 77 years old now.  Looks about the same, but thinner thanks to his assistant who is also a dietician (Leora).  I'll post the picture I got of him when my camera is uploaded to my computer.
TTYL

4 comments:

Her Mom said...

What a fascinating experience! I love the kids' blog too.

Jack Foster said...

Hey K! I remember Rosie when he played football. He was terrific. Thanks for letting me know what a terrific Godly human being he is also. God bless.

SuziCate said...

What a great post. I love hearing the tender endearing things that we don't always get to know. Thanks for sharing this!

LisaF said...

That is an amazing story. I had never heard that part of it. It must have been quite an honor to be able to talk with someone like this.