Friday, June 11, 2010

EWWW- Guhross- content warning

That's my disgusting leg.  In the picture, it is all hairy and has skin flakes on it- I warned you, gross.  You know how you used to spread glue on your hand and wait for it to dry, then peel it off? 

Why does my leg look like this?
Here's what one website says "Older cells are constantly being pushed to the surface by new cells which grow from below. When the old ones reach the top, they become wider and flatter as they get rubbed and worn by all your activity. And, sooner or later, they end up popping off like tiles blown from a roof in a strong wind. In fact, every minute 30,000-40,000 dead skin cells fall from your body! In approximately a month's time, your body has made a whole new layer of skin cells! " 

So, I had the cast on for about two months.  I was lucky enough to be able to shower with the cast, the water running through it making sure I wasn't getting stinky leg, but water can't wash off skin cells that are tightly wrapped in some neoprene like guaze.  Therefore, I was left with two months of skin cells stuck to my leg, dead.

Ex says "Don't you dare pick at your skin in my car", "I'm taking you to the house to shave that leg!"

Then, after leg was shaved to the best of my ability, and some of the skin was loofa-d, I sweet talked him into going to get a pedicure so the nice vietnamese lady could further uncover my fresh, bright pink, baby skin under the lizard crust.

So, I am not in a walking cast.  The doctor recommended a wrap or something.  I'm still on crutches as the leg has no muscle, and the tendons are not used to being bent in a ninety degree angle (like the syndrome you get when you wear heels all of the time).

I should be up and skipping (not running- haven't been able to do that since high school) in a matter of weeks!



* I like to say guh-ross like Guh-lenda from "Wicked"

4 comments:

Her Mom said...

Lizard Leg! I'll remember that! I am happy-glad you got the cast off and don't need a walking cast. Good timing, since your next couple of weeks are going to be busy. Spend this weekend practice-walking.

greekwitch said...

We have a habit in Greece when someone recovers from something like that to wish him-her to be made of iron...strong! Some become iron-y!

greekwitch said...

I meant:
So, become iron-y! Not some...

Lyn said...

I don't think your leg looked so bad, really. And what a little hair and dead skin cells when it's mending underneath :-) I'm so happy you're on the mend, K!!