Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Whore- yes, you read it right


I worked at a show this weekend set up for extreme sports- quads, trailers, side by sides, big trucks, etc.  I already had an issue with these types of shows because of the number of vendors who feel they need scantily clad women to bring attention to their stuff.  Don't tell me "boys will be boys"- because that is so not true- and because their stuff should sell itself (just like Carl's junior burgers should).
Anyhow, I am not going to go off on that tangent. I am going to show you what I had to stare at all day because they were the booth across from us: http://www.dunewhore.com/
I added the link in case it's your kind of thing, and because it is only fair since I stole their graphic. 

Here's the issue- what the heck? ( I know she forms a W for whore- but still) Do you really want to imagine your mom, daughter, aunt, grandma, or wife in this position for all the world to see?  Why do we think it's OK to objectify women like this?  Is this all men think women are good for? Or that women think they are good for?  Like all the women working the booths in almost no clothing.
I know, I know, I've been there before- I've been the girl dressed in spandex loving the attention it got me. I've been the person on and off all my life.  Who doesn't like attention?  But really, I'm learning I want people to value me for who I am, not for what I look like.  Especially when what I looked like at 16 isn't what I look like at 38.  Although I am not putting my looks down right now- I like how I look now.
I'm just saying- our society values boobs and butt and spread eagle emblems way too much.  We accept young men being lecherous and say "boys will be boys".  I'm proclaiming it is all disrespectful! It's disrespectful to womankind to have this emblem staring at me all day (even though I think a woman started the business).
As the Ex said when I told him about the emblem- "some people have no class".
TTYL, K

1 comment:

Her Mom said...

No class, and what does it say about our mentality? But then, if a woman started the business. . . what can you do?